Map of Braşov: The Black Church

panoramic image for:Map of Braşov: The Black Church

The imposing building in the centre of Brasov was built during the 14 - 15th century. The construction started in 1383. The proportions of the Gothic Church laid out on the construction plan were huge: 89m long, 38m wide and 42m high. From the two towers planned, only one was built, a 65m high one. In 1421, when the construction work was nearing its end, Turkish raids caused extensive damage to the church as well.
The dangers having passed, the works continued, and the church was inaugurated in 1477, while the tower in 1514. In 1542, when the Saxon town accepted the reforms of Honterus and embraced the Lutheran religion the local Catholic church became Evangelical. The events in Transylvania in between 1143-1571 were recorded on the walls, but according to a book written by Balázs Orbán the list of the persons donating for the construction of the church was also present on the wall. Unfortunately the 1689 fire destroyed the recordings.
It is said that besides the main altar decorated with gilt silver statues there were also 22 altars, all extinct in the great fire. The difficult refurbishment and earthquake frequencies lasted almost 100 years and resulted in an interior with strong Baroque influences. In the interwar period, the statues on the choir pillars were replaced with copies, the original being also displayed inside the church. The Church boasts the largest and only functional Buchholz functional organ in Southeast Europe, with 3,993 tubes and 76 registers, which gives unforgettable moments to music lovers.
Here you can also admire Europe's largest collection of anatolian carpets from the 16th-18th centuries, fragments of 15th-century mural painting, a 1472-colored frescoes and many old objects. History of the church and restoration, as well as the life and work of the reformer Johannes Honterus (1498-1549), is presented at exhibitions that can be visited in the church.
Open hours:
15.June - 15.September 10.00-17.00
16.September - 14 June 10.00-15.30
Contact: tel. 0040-268-511-824
fax.0040-268-511-825
You can speak with us in: Romanian, German, Hungarian, English
E-mail: Schwarze.Kirche@Brasovia.ro
gide@biserica-neagra.ro
The pictures of the interior were posted on the page with permission of Black Church officials and constitute their property. You may not download, copy or reproduce them!

The Black church, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Photo: Silviu Maiorescu

The Black church, Photo: Silviu Maiorescu

The Black church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black church, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Photo: Mădălina Doru

The Black church, Photo: Mădălina Doru

The Black church, Photo: Cătălin Nenciu

The Black church, Photo: Cătălin Nenciu

The Black church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black church, Photo: Cătălin Nenciu

The Black church, Photo: Cătălin Nenciu

The Black church, Photo: Vasilescu Mihai

The Black church, Photo: Vasilescu Mihai

The Black church, Jesus Christ, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Jesus Christ, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Photo: Radu Vadan

The Black church, Photo: Radu Vadan

The Black church, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, To the altar, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, To the altar, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, To the organ, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, To the organ, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Southern nave, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Southern nave, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Seats, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Seats, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The altar, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The altar, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The baptismal font from 1472, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The baptismal font from 1472, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The canopy, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The canopy, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The altar, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The altar, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Anatolian carpets, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Anatolian carpets, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Seats, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Seats, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Mural XV., Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Mural XV., Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Brasov,s blazon, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Brasov,s blazon, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black Church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black Church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black Church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black Church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black Church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black Church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black Church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black Church, Photo: Erdélyi Péter

The Black church, The organ, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The organ, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The Honterus tomb, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The Honterus tomb, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Iron grates surrounding the font, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Iron grates surrounding the font, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Northern nave, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Northern nave, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, The clock, Photo: Puskás Bajkó Gábor

The Black church, The clock, Photo: Puskás Bajkó Gábor

The Black church, The Honterus statue, Photo: Puskás Bajkó Gábor

The Black church, The Honterus statue, Photo: Puskás Bajkó Gábor

The Black church, Consil square, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Consil square, Photo: Peter Simon

The Black church, Photo: Puskás Bajkó Gábor

The Black church, Photo: Puskás Bajkó Gábor

The Black church, Photo: Puskás Bajkó Gábor

The Black church, Photo: Puskás Bajkó Gábor

Source: welcometoromania.ro

GPS: 45.64100N, 25.58798E

pag. 1
<
>

Map type

Map of Braşov: The Black Church
Braşov: Saint Nicholas church

Braşov: Saint Nicholas church

Braşov: The first Romanian School

Braşov: The first Romanian School

Braşov: Groaveri Orthodox Church

Braşov: Groaveri Orthodox Church

Braşov: Weavers' Bastion

Braşov: Weavers' Bastion

Braşov: The Orthodox Synagogue

Braşov: The Orthodox Synagogue

Braşov: Schei gate

Braşov: Schei gate

Braşov: Neolog synagogue

Braşov: Neolog synagogue

Braşov: Rope makers' Bastion

Braşov: Rope makers' Bastion

Braşov: Rope street

Braşov: Rope street

Braşov: Katalin gate

Braşov: Katalin gate

Braşov: The Honterus schools

Braşov: The Honterus schools

Braşov: Blacksmiths' Bastion

Braşov: Blacksmiths' Bastion

Braşov: Redut house

Braşov: Redut house

Braşov: The Black Church

Braşov: The Black Church

Braşov: The Black tower

Braşov: The Black tower

Braşov: The Merchants' House, or Hirscher house

Braşov: The Merchants' House, or Hirscher house

Braşov: Holy Trinity church

Braşov: Holy Trinity church

Braşov: The Honterus house

Braşov: The Honterus house

Braşov: The Council square

Braşov: The Council square

Braşov: Draper Bastion

Braşov: Draper Bastion

Braşov: The Consil house

Braşov: The Consil house

Braşov: The house of the Mureseanus

Braşov: The house of the Mureseanus

Braşov: Furriers' Bastion

Braşov: Furriers' Bastion

Braşov: Bastion Graft

Braşov: Bastion Graft

Braşov: The White tower

Braşov: The White tower

Braşov: Sf. Adormire Orthodox Church

Braşov: Sf. Adormire Orthodox Church

Braşov: Saint John Church

Braşov: Saint John Church

Braşov: Palace of Justice

Braşov: Palace of Justice

Braşov: The Catholic Church

Braşov: The Catholic Church

Braşov: Gallery- Art museum

Braşov: Gallery- Art museum

Braşov: Folk museum

Braşov: Folk museum

Braşov: The county library

Braşov: The county library

Braşov: The theater

Braşov: The theater