Map of Braşov: The Council square

panoramic image for:Map of Braşov: The Council square

The former Markplatz square obtained its right to held markets in 1520, but it has been the place for annual markets since 1364 being visited by merchants from the country and abroad. The houses surrounding the square speak of a rich history. A pillory, in the middle of the square, was used as a means for public humiliation, punishment and scorn. Witches were also punished here, but the head of the shoemaker guild, Stefan Stenert, who opposed the entry of the Austrian army into Brasov was also beheaded here in 1688. Till 1892 there have been two wells in the square. The most important building in the square is the Council House, which was built in 1420 and is located in the middle of the square. Today it houses the historical museum. No 16 used to be the first pharmacy in town.

The Council square, Photo: Richard Sterner

The Council square, Photo: Richard Sterner

The Council square, Photo: Alexandru Cociu

The Council square, Photo: Alexandru Cociu

The Council square, Photo: Silviu Maiorescu

The Council square, Photo: Silviu Maiorescu

The Council square, Photo: Katona Attila

The Council square, Photo: Katona Attila

The Council square, Photo: Doru Modrișan

The Council square, Photo: Doru Modrișan

The Council square, Photo: Katona Attila

The Council square, Photo: Katona Attila

The Council square, Photo: Katona Attila

The Council square, Photo: Katona Attila

The Council square, Photo: Doru Modrișan

The Council square, Photo: Doru Modrișan

The Council square, Photo: Doru Modrișan

The Council square, Photo: Doru Modrișan

The Council square, Photo: Cătălin Nenciu

The Council square, Photo: Cătălin Nenciu

The Council square, Photo: Radu Matală

The Council square, Photo: Radu Matală

The Council square, Photo: Cătălin Nenciu

The Council square, Photo: Cătălin Nenciu

Source: welcometoromania.ro

GPS: 45.64198N, 25.58897E

pag. 1
<
>

Map type

Map of Braşov: The Council square
Braşov: Saint Nicholas church

Braşov: Saint Nicholas church

Braşov: The first Romanian School

Braşov: The first Romanian School

Braşov: Groaveri Orthodox Church

Braşov: Groaveri Orthodox Church

Braşov: Weavers' Bastion

Braşov: Weavers' Bastion

Braşov: The Orthodox Synagogue

Braşov: The Orthodox Synagogue

Braşov: Schei gate

Braşov: Schei gate

Braşov: Neolog synagogue

Braşov: Neolog synagogue

Braşov: Rope makers' Bastion

Braşov: Rope makers' Bastion

Braşov: Rope street

Braşov: Rope street

Braşov: Katalin gate

Braşov: Katalin gate

Braşov: The Honterus schools

Braşov: The Honterus schools

Braşov: Blacksmiths' Bastion

Braşov: Blacksmiths' Bastion

Braşov: Redut house

Braşov: Redut house

Braşov: The Black Church

Braşov: The Black Church

Braşov: The Black tower

Braşov: The Black tower

Braşov: The Merchants' House, or Hirscher house

Braşov: The Merchants' House, or Hirscher house

Braşov: Holy Trinity church

Braşov: Holy Trinity church

Braşov: The Honterus house

Braşov: The Honterus house

Braşov: The Council square

Braşov: The Council square

Braşov: Draper Bastion

Braşov: Draper Bastion

Braşov: The Consil house

Braşov: The Consil house

Braşov: The house of the Mureseanus

Braşov: The house of the Mureseanus

Braşov: Furriers' Bastion

Braşov: Furriers' Bastion

Braşov: Bastion Graft

Braşov: Bastion Graft

Braşov: The White tower

Braşov: The White tower

Braşov: Sf. Adormire Orthodox Church

Braşov: Sf. Adormire Orthodox Church

Braşov: Saint John Church

Braşov: Saint John Church

Braşov: Palace of Justice

Braşov: Palace of Justice

Braşov: The Catholic Church

Braşov: The Catholic Church

Braşov: Gallery- Art museum

Braşov: Gallery- Art museum

Braşov: Folk museum

Braşov: Folk museum

Braşov: The county library

Braşov: The county library

Braşov: The theater

Braşov: The theater

Braşov: Citadel, Brasov Fortress

Braşov: Citadel, Brasov Fortress